Diabetes & Physical Activity Program Tips
- Jun 21, 2023
Whether your goal is to lose weight, lower your blood pressure or improve your overall mental and physical well-being, a physical activity program is the key to achieving your goal.
Here are some Tips to make your Activity Program enjoyable:
Keep It Fun
Vary your activities to prevent boredom, exercise with a friend, join a group in your community that supports your interests.
Keep It Safe
Wear a medical ID bracelet, proper fitting shoes and socks to prevent feet irritation. Stretch muscles before and after exercising to prevent soreness.
Keep It Healthy
Monitor your blood glucose before, during and after exercise. Adjust meals and medications as needed.
How To Start Smart
- Slowly – 5 to 10 minutes per day
- Gradually work up to 30 – 40 minutes a day
- Be active 3 – 4 times per week
- Eat a snack before or during your activity to help prevent low blood glucose
- Stretch before and after physical activity to prevent injury
Thirty minutes before exercising, check your blood glucose and document the results. If your blood glucose is within your normal range, start your program. If your blood glucose is too low, eat something and recheck before beginning.