Inspecting and Caring for Your Skin
- Aug 15, 2023
Proper cleaning and moisturizing play a big role in preventing skin and foot issues. A new patient’s healthcare team gave him some suggestions to help in both areas:
How To Keep Skin Moisturized
- Use a mild soap. Harsher soaps can dry out your skin.
- Rinse thoroughly and dry gently. Pat, don’t rub, with a soft towel and remove as much moisture as you can.
The patient met with his healthcare team, and they shared 10 ideas for inspecting and caring for his skin:
1. Use a mild soap.
2. Keep skin clean by using a mild soap and moisturizer daily..
3. Pat your skin dry with a soft towel, don’t rub.
4. Avoid hot showers or baths.
5. Avoid scratching sores or bumps.
6. During colder weather, use a room humidifier to add moisture to heated, dry indoor air.
7. Keep moisturizers by sinks at home.
8. Know the safety of the products you use on your skin.
9. Use lip balm to prevent chapped lips.
10. Drink plenty of fluids, especially water.
- Take a good look at your skin, then take good care of it.
- Proper skin care is important for people with diabetes to live a healthy and active lifestyle. Always inspect your skin daily and report any concerns to your healthcare professional.